- S.A.L.T.S. Sail and Life Training Society is committed to protecting personal information about our members, donors, trainees, employees, volunteers, customers, clients, suppliers and contractors. Our goal is to maintain the highest quality of service and integrity in all of our dealings. To that end, we will only collect, store, use and disclose personal information as needed to:
- Provide the services required by our trainees, clients, boat donors and members including the establishment and maintenance of our relationships with buyers and sellers;
- Establish, maintain or terminate relationships with our employees and volunteers;
- Administer our business including fund raising and our commercial activities; or,
- Meet legal, regulatory or statutory requirements.
We will inform the individual from whom personal information is being collected of our purposes and ensure such individuals have consented to our collection, use, storage or disclosure of the personal information for the purposes we have indicated. When possible, we will collect any required personal information directly from the individual to whom it pertains. We will not collect, use, store or disclose an individual’s personal information except in accordance with the law.
- Definition of Personal Information:
- Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual and includes:
i. Age, sex, marital status, race, nationality, ethnic origin and religious or political beliefs;
ii. Credit card and/or banking information;
iii. Information regarding the individual’s behavior such as donation or purchasing history and Internet browsing logs.
- Personal information excludes business contact information such as:
i. Title, business telephone and fax numbers, street and e-mail addresses.
- Any inquiries or concerns with regard to the personal information we have about individuals or about the application of this policy should be directed to our Privacy Officer, Loren Hagerty by phone at 250.383.6811 or S.A.L.T.S. Sail and Life Training Society, 451 Herald Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 3N8, Attention: Loren Hagerty, Executive Director.
- We make every reasonable effort to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the personal information we collect, store, use and disclose. Individuals wishing to access or correct the personal information we have about them should contact us at the above referenced telephone number or mailing address.
- Individuals who have given consent for us to collect, use, store or disclose personal information have the right to withdraw that consent at any time on giving us written or oral notice.
- We protect the personal information in our custody and control with safeguards appropriate to its sensitivity. Files containing personal information are secure. Physical files are locked up when unattended. Electronic files are password protected at all points of access.
- Donors and Supporters. S.A.L.T.S. collects personal information about its donors and potential supporters, including name, title, address, telephone number, past donations and other relevant contact information. This personal information is collected for the following purposes to:
a. Comply with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency requirements,
b. Provide donors with periodic stewardship information,
c. Provide donors with appropriate recognition,
d. Provide donors and potential supporters with information about S.A.L.T.S. activities, and to promote opportunities where donors and potential supporters may support us.
- Donors of boats or other real property:
- Personal information required from individuals wishing to donate boats or other real property to S.A.L.T.S. includes:
iii. Telephone number
- When third party appraisals of boats or other real property are obtained by S.A.L.T.S. at its expense and/or supplied by the donor, a copy is retained at the S.A.L.T.S. office for purposes pertaining to selling the donated boat or other real property and for purposes required by law. Personal information pertaining to the donor is deleted.
- Buyers of Boats or other Goods
- We only collect/use or disclose contact information about the buyers of boats or other goods when they pay by credit card in which case we only retain the personal information required by the issuer of the card.
- Individuals who pay by cheque are required to present two pieces of identification (including at least one photo ID).
- Employee/Volunteer/Subcontractor information:
- Includes personal information about an individual that we collect, use or disclose solely for purposes related to establishing, maintaining or terminating the employment, volunteer or subcontract arrangement.
- When collecting such information, we identify the purpose for which the information is being collected, used and disclosed and, where necessary, obtain consent.
- Information collected from employees for enrollment in benefits is only disclosed to the insurer from whom the coverage is purchased.
- Trainee Information:
- Personal information collected about trainees includes:
ii. Emergency contact including a relative and physician,
iii. Gender/Relevant medical information/Medical Services Plan number.
- Personal information is only disclosed to third parties, including our insurers, when it is necessary to evaluate an applicant or, if a trainee is injured, to advise our insurer, the Coast Guard and any other relevant authorities.
- Trainees or their legal guardians are also required to complete and sign a waiver.
- Member Information:
a. Personal information required from individuals and families wishing to become members of S.A.L.T.S. includes:
iii. Telephone number
iv. Email address
b. No personal information collected from members is disclosed to third parties without the member’s consent.
c. Personal information collected from members is used for the purposes of communicating about events; programs and opportunities for members to be more involved.
Both unsolicited and solicited resumes, when received, are evaluated, acted upon and stored for twelve months from the date of receipt.
14. Disclosure of Personal Information
a. Personal information collected from members, donors, trainees, employees, volunteers, customers, clients, suppliers and contractors is not disclosed to third parties unless required by law or as part of a credit card or banking transaction.
b. No personal information about any of these types of individuals is available on the Internet either through our website or by other means.
15. Access to Personal Information
a. Individuals have the right to access all personal information we have collected about them. They should contact our Privacy Officer to arrange a mutually convenient time for access.
16. Complaints and Concerns
a. If you have a complaint or concern about the personal information we have about you, how we are using it or to whom we may have disclosed it, we will ask you to document your complaint.
b. We will promptly investigate any complaints and respond to them within thirty days unless we are unable to do so for reasons beyond our control. In any such case, we will keep you informed about our progress.
c. Depending on the nature of the complaint and the time and effort required to investigate and deal with it, we may charge you a nominal fee. We will advise you of this before undertaking any action.