We love our volunteers, on-ship and on-shore!
Each year we are thrilled by the tremendous number of candidates who are passionate about contributing their time and energy to support the mission of SALTS during our summer sailing season. Our Captain's Committee will select a volunteer for the following positions to serve alongside our professional crew on each of our 10 day summer voyages.
- Watch Leaders (1 male & 1 female): help the Watch Officer with all aspects of shipboard life including sail training, youth mentorship and chaperoning trainees (requires high school graduation and applicants should be at least age 17). Experience in Christian youth ministry is an asset.
- Bosun’s Mate: helps with ship maintenance such as painting, varnishing, rope work and is involved in all aspects of shipboard life including sail training and youth mentorship (usually is a former trainee with a SALTS intermediate certificate).
- Assistant Cook: helps the Cook prepare meals for 30 - 40 people four times daily and is involved in all aspects of shipboard life including sail training and youth mentorship.
The Captain's Committee will review applications received prior to December 15th in early January and selections will be made based on our unique program needs and priorities for 2018. Applications received after December 15th will be reviewed on a monthly basis until all positions are filled. It is a difficult task, to choose only a fraction of the qualified candidates, many of whom the crew have enjoyed sailing with in the past. We sincerely appreciate all those who have served alongside our crew over the years and regret that we will not be able to offer positions to many previous volunteers and trainees who we would love to welcome aboard again!
We rely on the help of volunteers and appreciate them very much! There are many ways you can get involved.
Shoreside volunteer roles include:
- Donated Boat Assistant: Cleaning and maintaining our fleet of 10-20 donated boats. This helps us sell boats quickly and for a higher price. Proceeds support our tall ship programs.
- Tall Ship Cleaner: The ships often dock at Ship Point Wharf in the inner harbour between 2 and 3:30 pm on Fridays from March through June, September and October. Since arrival days and times vary, please call the SALTS office at 250.383.6811 after 10 am Friday to confirm the time and location. Please wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty or damaged as you may be using cleaning supplies that can damage clothing. No application is necessary for this role.
- Workshop Assistant: Tasks, projects, and errands related to the organization, upkeep, and operation of the SALTS workshop and maintenance of our tall ships.
- Shore-side Bosun's Mate: Tasks, projects, and errands related to the maintenance of our Tall Ships when they are in port, which is generally weekdays from November through February and weekends (Friday afternoon through Sunday) from March through October. The majority of the work will involve paint and bright-work. Other work may include assisting the Shop Foreman with rigging, woodwork, plumbing, and electrical work.
How to Volunteer for Shoreside Positions
- Review the job descriptions for these positions and decide which position(s) you wish to be involved in
- For casual roles (tall ship cleaner and event volunteers, no application is necessary--just follow the instructions in the job description (the additional steps below will not apply)
- For all other shoreside volunteer positions, print and submit the shoreside application form to the SALTS office (or drop by to fill one out at our office). One of our volunteer supervisors will respond to you to discuss your application and suitability for the role(s)
- Once accepted as a volunteer, arrange for an orientation with your supervisor; the supervisor will also provide ongoing coaching, performance feedback, and encouragement.